Undergoing many changes throughout its history of over 100 years, the Casino has always represented a point of attraction for the tourists and the locals. Between 1880 and 1890, we hear of Cazin or Kursal as being a wooden building on the seashore, built on a location a few hundred meters away from the current one. Besides the ballroom, noticeable were the reading hall with French newspapers, a games hall, as well as a terrace. It is here that the tourists, the seamen, and the local elite met in the summer evenings to take part in the balls organised by the city hall on the tunes of the brass bands or on the music of the famous artists of the era.
There are contradictions regarding the origin of the lighthouse's name. One of the legends mentions the existence of a wooden lighthouse that dated back to the Genovese sailors. Another one, as plausible as the first one, says that the workers who built the stone lighthouse were Genovese. Since 1913, when Carol lighthouse was built on the sea wall of the port, the Genoese lighthouse has not been used remaining just a symbol of the city.
Built between 1904 and 1906, with an architecture similar to that of the Casino, the palace was intended as a summer residence for the royal family. The building with slight influences of art nouveau has a completely different architectural style from the two adjacent buildings - the Court of Justice and the Military Centre. The palace, together with the two properties of the royal house, The Queen's Nest, found on the premises of the port at the end of the embankment, and the Royal Palace "Cara Dalga" from Mamaia, the current Castel Club (Castle Club), were highly frequented by the royal family during their seaside holidays.
With a troubled history, the construction built in 1897 in Genovese style as a personal dwelling of an Armenian merchant, first housed an important art collection, then, later on, it became a bank and en-ded up as an elegant restaurant 100 years away from its construction. The grandeur and the location of the house situated on a street that links the port to the city centre led along the years to a series of stories about the building and about the origin of its name that comes from the four statues representing lions that dominate the entrance columns.
The hotel, first called "Terminus" and later "Charles I", was built by "Danube and Black Sea Railway" between 1879 and 1881. Situated near the Genoese Lighthouse, the hotel offered special facilities to the tourists who came for the sea baths. An elegant hotel for those times, besides almost 100 rooms and halls with balconies, it had baths on every floor, and reading halls in accordance with the times, and in 1905, the hotel got electricity.
Built on the seashore, near the Casino, even from its beginning Palace Hotel was a high-class one for that era. Designed by a French architect and having the baron Edgar de Marçay as its owner - one of the shareholders of the Monte Carlo Casino of those times, it is easy to understand why the hotel's architecture makes us think of the architecture of the Mediterranean resorts. Nationalized by the communist regime, once with the agricultural revolution of the 50's. the hotel was used as dwelling space for the agricultural workers. After the fall of Communism, the hotel went back to its former owners, and, after a period of repairs and consolidation, it re-entered the touristic circuit of the Black Sea shore.